Those in-between-meal snacks are so comforting as we shelter in place to help flatten the curve of COVID-19. You’ve probably enjoyed just about every one of your favorite snacks since the shelter in place orders were enacted. While those crunchy, salty and sweet treats are a delight, we cannot subsist on snacks alone.
So when your conscious says it’s time to ascend from snack heaven, try this easy Kale and Cabbage Mediterranean Salad with Kalamata Olives and Romano cheese, and pair it with a simple grilled chicken breast. The salad greens are a combination of curly and flat leaf kale and cabbage dressed in an easy and delicious homemade vinaigrette that does double duty as a marinade for the chicken breast featured in this recipe.
It’s a dinner combinhttps://collardgreensandcaviar.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/capture-the-wave-show-2.pngation that will leave you wanting more and thanking yourself for this act of self-care.
Join me in the kitchen making this recipe on my new podcast Cooking with Collard Greens and Caviar now available on 94.7 FM The Wave. Just click on the the picture above.
A delicious salad with an Italian inspired vinaigrette.
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups kale cut in ribbons
1/3 cup Kalamata olives slice in half
¼ cup grated Romano cheese (use cheese wedge)
The best way to mix these hearty salad greens is with your hands. So get in there and make it happen.
- Rinse the cabbage under cold running water and pat the outside dry or use a salad spinner.
- Remove outer layers of cabbage and discard any wilted or damaged outer leaves.
- Place the cabbage on a cutting board and cut it in half, vertically through the core.
- Remove the core with the knife.
- Place the cabbage half face down on a cutting board.
- Shred the cabbage by making ¼ – ½ inch slices along the vertical edge.
- Rinse kale and pat dry or use a salad spinner.
- Remove stems and center ribs of kale and discard.
- Stack kale leaves and roll into a cigar shape.
- Cut kale crosswise into thin strips about ¼ – ½ inch wide.
- Place cut kale and shredded cabbage in a serving bowl and overturn greens with your hands to mix them.
- Drizzle with dressing, a little goes a long way, so make sure taste so you don’t – overdress.
- Add half slices of Kalamata olives and Romano Cheese over salad.
- Mix in dressing, olives and a cheese with your hands until well incorporated. Add more dressing if needed.
Easy Italian Vinaigrette /Marinade
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon dried Italian herbs
¼ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon chopped garlic
- A wire whisk works best to mix this recipe. But a fork will work too.
- In a small bowl add all ingredients.
- Mix well with a wire whisk.
- Use as a salad dressing or marinade. Can be stored 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Marinated Grilled Chicken
2 medium-sized chicken breasts, sliced in half
Vinaigrette marinade recipe
2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
- Slice 2 chicken breasts in half.
- Place 4 chicken breast slices into a plastic zipper bag.
- Add vinaigrette marinade (see recipe above).
- Massage marinade into the chicken breast slices. Let chicken marinate in bag 20 minutes.
- Add oil to a skillet or grill pan skillet set to medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add chicken breast to skillet two at a time.
- Cook for 3 minutes on each side until brown or until grill marks appear.
- Remove from heat and place slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Place in oven set a 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 to 10 minutes
- Remove from oven, let stand for 5 minutes and serve.
The salad looks excellent!
Thank you for visiting the site! Thanks!