So many people are getting together, finally.
Family reunions, picnics, backyard barbeques are back and so are the smiles, kisses, hugs and laughter.
It’s a beautiful time to be sure.
But if you are gathering and need a quick side dish, this Festive Red Cabbage Slaw recipe won’t disappoint and it is family and figure friendly too.
No mayo here my friends, just a cabbage slaw that is not your usual suspect and amped up with a delightful olive oil and rice vinegar-based dressing that is tasty and is easy to make.
It’s a perfect side dish and condiment for seafood tacos.
Take it to your next gathering. Make it for your family. It will certainly impress the crowd and those you love. Enjoy!
An easy recipe you will make over and over again.
3 to 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (if small head use half of it)
2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
3 scallions, sliced
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 ear of fresh corn, cooked and shaved from cob
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
½ teaspoon garlic, peeled and chopped
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard (Trader Joe’s is my preference)
½ teaspoon sesame seed oil
1 teaspoon sugar
- To a large mixing bowl add thinly sliced cabbage, grated carrots, sliced scallions, chopped cilantro and corn.
- Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of salt and mix with a large spoon or spatula.
- To a small mixing bowl add olive oil, chopped garlic, salt, Dijon Mustard, sesame seed oil and sugar, and whisk with a wire whisk or fork until the mixture is emulsified or comes together.
- Pour half of the dressing over salad in the bowl and mix well. Taste and add more salt or pepper to taste. If desired, add more dressing to your taste.
- Fresh ear of corn cooking hack
- Take a fresh ear of corn with the hulk on and cut the top and bottom off.
- Place it in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Let cook, remove husk and shave off kernels with a sharp knife.