Creole Rice and Shrimp up close and personal.
Creole food has never tasted so good than when it’s made in your kitchen! The simple blend of Creole spices in this recipe are spot on. One bite will conjure up tasty memories of the fine Creole restaurant-style food you love. Yup, this recipe will take you there. And I can take you there, step by step, if you pop over to my podcast which lives at 94.7 FM The Wave website. Just click here.
Wanna hear me step through this recipe. Click on the picture and I will take you through it step by step!
Restaurants may be closed for dining in, but your kitchen is open for business.
Creole Rice and Shrimp plated and ready to eat!
So get cooking and what better time to make this recipe than now when you have a little bit of time on your hands!
Creole Rice and Shrimp
You will love the flavor and enjoy the abundant shrimp.
2 cups brown jasmine rice
3 cups stock
¼ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (omit if you don’t want the heat)
½ teaspoon dried thyme (not ground)
½ teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons paprika
2 bay leaves, whole or ground (your call)
(Note: this spice mix imparts subtle Creole flavor, for more robust flavor use 1 teaspoon of dried thyme and 1 teaspoon of dried oregano)
2 pounds shrimp (shelled, deveined, tails off)
1/2 stick butter
2 garlic cloves, chopped
¼ cup white wine (turn it up with ½ cup – your call)
1 cup fish stock (or chicken stock)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish
How to make the rice
- To a large skillet or saucepan add two cups of rice, 3 cups of stock, ¼ teaspoon turmeric, and½ teaspoon salt. For this recipe I used a 9 ½ frying/ saucepan with a lid.
- Bring ingredients to a boil, reduce heat and simmer according to instructions until done. When done, remove from heat.
How to make the shrimp
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high until melted.
- Blend spices in a small bowl by combining the cayenne, black pepper, salt, red pepper flakes, thyme, oregano, paprika, and bay leaves (whole, or ground) Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- When butter is melted, add the garlic, blended spices, wine, stock, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce and mix all the spices into the butter. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat.
- Add half of the shrimp to the butter and spice mixture and cook until firm and pink, about 2 minutes on each side until done.
- When that first pound is done, remove and place on separate plate. Add remaining shrimp and cook until done. Remove and place on the same place.
How to put it all together
- After all the shrimp is done (remove bay leaves if you did not grind them) pour the butter and spicy mixture that remains in the skillet over the rice and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the cooked shrimp. Cover and let stand 10 minutes to allow rice time to absorb the spices.
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
Express Yourself Pizza right out of the oven.
Pizza delivery driver can’t deliver when you need them? Don’t sweat the small stuff.
You can D-I-Y and make a take-in pizza pie in less the time it would take to place an order and wait for the driver to knock on your door.
Wanna here me step you through the recipe? Just click on this picture!
Do it yourself has never been easier. This pizza has an easy dough that doesn’t require yeast or waiting for the dough to rise. And finally you’ll be able to do more with that 32-ounce tub of unsweetened Greek yogurt sitting in your fridge than just fold it into granola and blueberries. And the toppings? Just rob them from ingredients you scrounge from your kitchen like that leftover rotisserie chicken breast or those orphan strips of bacon leftover from breakfast.
What about prepared pizza, marinara, or spaghetti sauce? You don’t need it either. A simple food hack from ingredients you probably already have in your pantry will help you create a mouthwatering, picture-perfect pizza pie that just might have you skipping a few pizza deliveries altogether.
Express Yourself Pizza plated and ready to eat!
So express yourself. Put your stamp on, put your foot in it and put your name in it. After all, it’s lovingly made by you.
Express Yourself Pizza
A delicious and tasty pizza pie you can make at home.
When measuring flour, spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off excess.
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder, optional but recommended
1 cup plain Greek yogurt or plain whole milk yogurt
Just a few ingredients robbed from my fridge.
8 ounces tomato sauce
½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or more if ya like it cheesier)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped tomatoes (seeded)
2 tablespoons Kalamata olives
2 strips cooked, thick smoked bacon, broken in pieces
1 cooked chicken breast, chopped (rotisserie)
How to make
This D-I-Y pizza really has no hard and fast topping ingredient list. Once you make the basic crust, it’s a blank canvas ready to be filled in with anything you want. This version of the recipe is made with ingredients I had on hand. Just go for it, exercise your imagination, throw caution to the wind and express yourself !
- Preheat your oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Add flour, baking powder salt and garlic powder to a large mixing bowl. Whisk all the ingredients to combine them.
- Add in the Greek yogurt and mix with a fork. Stir until combined. The dough may appear dry and crumbly at first, but it will come together as you mix it.
- Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and slightly elastic, about 5 minutes. Dust with more flour as needed.
- Shaped the dough into a ball. Roll the dough out thin with a rolling pin or a drinking glass into a 10 to 14-inch pizza round, depending on your pan size. (I used a 14-inch perforated pizza pan.) Make sure to flour your surface and rolling pin or glass as needed.
- Spray your perforated pizza pan with non-stick spray. If using a baking sheet, cover it with parchment paper and dust it with semolina or coarse cornmeal.
- Place the dough on the baking pan and stretch out the dough to the edges of the pan.
- Top the dough round with tomato sauce by smoothing it all over the surface, leaving a 1/4 inch border around the edge.
- Sprinkle dried Italian herbs over the sauce, followed by the salt then the garlic powder.
- Add the shredded cheese, chicken, bacon (or whatever you have), bell pepper, onions, tomatoes (or whatever veggies you have), and finally olives and mushrooms.
- Place pizza pan or baking sheet in the oven. Cook at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve. Top with fresh basil leaves if desired.
3 Greens Mediterranean Salad and Marinated Grill Chicken.
Those in-between-meal snacks are so comforting as we shelter in place to help flatten the curve of COVID-19. You’ve probably enjoyed just about every one of your favorite snacks since the shelter in place orders were enacted. While those crunchy, salty and sweet treats are a delight, we cannot subsist on snacks alone.
Marinated grill chicken, sliced and ready to plate.
So when your conscious says it’s time to ascend from snack heaven, try this easy Kale and Cabbage Mediterranean Salad with Kalamata Olives and Romano cheese, and pair it with a simple grilled chicken breast. The salad greens are a combination of curly and flat leaf kale and cabbage dressed in an easy and delicious homemade vinaigrette that does double duty as a marinade for the chicken breast featured in this recipe.
It’s a dinner combinhttps://collardgreensandcaviar.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/capture-the-wave-show-2.pngation that will leave you wanting more and thanking yourself for this act of self-care.
Listen to me in the kitchen on my new podcast on 94.7 The Wave.
Join me in the kitchen making this recipe on my new podcast Cooking with Collard Greens and Caviar now available on 94.7 FM The Wave. Just click on the the picture above.
A delicious salad with an Italian inspired vinaigrette.
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups kale cut in ribbons
1/3 cup Kalamata olives slice in half
¼ cup grated Romano cheese (use cheese wedge)
The best way to mix these hearty salad greens is with your hands. So get in there and make it happen.
- Rinse the cabbage under cold running water and pat the outside dry or use a salad spinner.
- Remove outer layers of cabbage and discard any wilted or damaged outer leaves.
- Place the cabbage on a cutting board and cut it in half, vertically through the core.
- Remove the core with the knife.
- Place the cabbage half face down on a cutting board.
- Shred the cabbage by making ¼ – ½ inch slices along the vertical edge.
- Rinse kale and pat dry or use a salad spinner.
- Remove stems and center ribs of kale and discard.
- Stack kale leaves and roll into a cigar shape.
- Cut kale crosswise into thin strips about ¼ – ½ inch wide.
- Place cut kale and shredded cabbage in a serving bowl and overturn greens with your hands to mix them.
- Drizzle with dressing, a little goes a long way, so make sure taste so you don’t – overdress.
- Add half slices of Kalamata olives and Romano Cheese over salad.
- Mix in dressing, olives and a cheese with your hands until well incorporated. Add more dressing if needed.
Easy Italian Vinaigrette /Marinade
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon dried Italian herbs
¼ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon chopped garlic
- A wire whisk works best to mix this recipe. But a fork will work too.
- In a small bowl add all ingredients.
- Mix well with a wire whisk.
- Use as a salad dressing or marinade. Can be stored 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Marinated Grilled Chicken
2 medium-sized chicken breasts, sliced in half
Vinaigrette marinade recipe
2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
- Slice 2 chicken breasts in half.
- Place 4 chicken breast slices into a plastic zipper bag.
- Add vinaigrette marinade (see recipe above).
- Massage marinade into the chicken breast slices. Let chicken marinate in bag 20 minutes.
- Add oil to a skillet or grill pan skillet set to medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add chicken breast to skillet two at a time.
- Cook for 3 minutes on each side until brown or until grill marks appear.
- Remove from heat and place slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Place in oven set a 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 to 10 minutes
- Remove from oven, let stand for 5 minutes and serve.